
We decided to take off on Friday afternoon and find a halfway point that evening. I decided to surprise the kids with the DVD Monsters vs. Aliens. I also scored some great movies from the Book Mobile--what would our community do without Mr. Tom and what on earth did our parents do without TV/DVD's in the car on roadtrips??? What a lifesaver! We made it to Clanton, Alabama and stayed at a Best Western which was super nice. There was a free breakfast in the morning. I felt like "one of those potluck people" that never brings anything but loads my plate up dozens of times--you know the ones. After our smorgasbord breakfast, we took off and arrived in Destin around lunchtime. We spent about two hours on the beach before checking in.
I headed to Walmart for our weekly groceries but the main purpose of my trip was to find a crab hunting net =). I had NO IDEA how to crab hunt but had looked at videos on You Tube. We ventured out on the beach that evening as amateur hunters but quickly became professionals as the crabs are EVERYWHERE. Creepy huh. They are white, speedy little suckers that blend right in with the sand. We had a blast chasing them with our net and flashlights. I'm sure all the teens that were making out on the beach didn't appreciate the commotion, but we sure had fun.
SUNDAY: we spent the day at the beach and the pool--nothing major this day. I did sneak away for a bit to the Silver Sands Outlet malls. I am absolutely loving Gymboree Outlets. Who knew you could find size 7 clothes for $3.99 and $4.99?

MONDAY: we woke up to a downpour in the morning but by the afternoon, things had cleared up. We spent most of the day with Josh and Sarah Owens who were also staying at the Dunes. They told us about this fabulous restaurant they'd eaten at the night before called Louisiana Lagniappe. They offered us some babysitting so we could enjoy a kids free dinner there. It was AWESOME, some of the best food we've ever had. We returned the babysitting favor when we returned, and they went out. We had a blast with Lydia. She fits right into our party of five.
TUESDAY: another gorgeous day at the beach. Isaac is officially a swimmer. Karson let him borrow her goggles yesterday, and he fell in love with the water. He was swimming all over the place. We took the kids to The Track later that afternoon, dropped some major dough, rode some rides and got soaked on the bumper boats. We went to Dewey Destin for dinner and then headed to the Destin Commons for some free play at their cool children's area. I ran into one of my high buddies there. It was great catching up with her and she told us about SanDestin and a place called Baytowne Wharf.


WEDNESDAY: after a day at the beach and pool, we treated the kids to McDonald's. YUMMO, huh =). We ventured over to Baytowne Wharf afterwards. It was one of the coolest places--cute little shops, restaurants, tree houses, a wooden playground, etc. After playing at the Wharf, we met up with some BG vacationers at the Destin Commons.
FRIDAY: more sun, more fun. Matt met up with Brad Caffey for some golf at Indian Bayou. I decided to take the kids to Chick-Fil-A for some familiar food and play. Afterwards, I took them over to Hurricane Lanes for some bowling. It was Miles's first time. He was cute toting that heavy 6 lb. ball to the lane. When we got back home, I started power packing--ugh. We decided to go to P.F. Changs for dinner and Dippin' Dots for dessert. It was the perfect end to our week.

























Hi Deaton,
ReplyDeleteMy name is Jane and I'm with Dwellable.
I was looking for blog posts about the Caribbean Dunes to share on our site and I came across your post...If you're open to it, shoot me an email at jane(at)dwellable(dot)com.
Hope to hear from you :)
Jane