I hope I don't embarass Karson to much as her coach. At this point, she doesn't seem to mind. I really hope she sticks with this sport. She's nice and tall and pretty good. I think she scored 3 or 4 baskets at her first game. She even got to shoot some foul shots. I have to admit that I wasn't prepared for the first game as much as I would've liked. Our referee this year is NO-nonsense on the violations. He's very nice but doesn't let them get away with much. Now, I can appreciate this because that's the kind of officiating I had as a kid. BUT, our officials last year weren't tough at ALL. In fact, I don't think either one even knew the sport of basketball. So, I haven't been as strict with the girls in practice about their need for dribbling with only one hand, starting and stopping dribbling, running a little bit with the ball, etc. We've worked on it but apparently not as effectively as we need to. However, the game was great and almost all of the girls scored. I'd like to give any of you bloggers out there some great advice should you decide to coach little ones, give all of them a chance. Superstar players are going to be superstars, but everyone came to play and should get a chance to. SO, rotate your players around and let them actually learn the game instead of favoring the best. There's a time and league for that--not when they are little and trying to learn. I'd love to give that advice to some of my fellow MEN coaches.

Onto the next round, Isaac is playing for the Celtics. Oh yeah! I should be very happy that Isaac enjoyed his first game and had a blast, BUT anyone that was there, knows that this league (4 & 5) is basically a free frawl. In fact, I doubt I will sign Miles up for this league next year. I was a bit disappointed. There are no referees (which I don't remember being told this) and the coaches have whistles on but rarely blew them. The boys were running around like wild indians. The kids that were good and aggressive got the ball and kept it the whole time, some of them never dribbling once and moving around like a football running back. Our team only practiced once prior to their first game so I don't know why my expectations were high. I guess I just thought there would be more structure to the game than constant running around. But, like I said, Isaac loved every minute of the organized choas =). I think he mainly loves being with his friend Mason. They couldn't keep their hands off each other, and Isaac ended up going home with Mason after the game. They are the best of buds! There are only 6 total games in this league--that's a good thing because I don't think I can sit through more than that.
Matt and I got to go enjoy some good ol' fashioned high school basketball Saturday night at the South Warren vs. Greenwood game. I'm looking forward to some more local games mainly the BGHS and Central game. BG, what??? I've been converted to the county but my roots are still purple.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for peeking into our lives and better yet, taking the time to comment. I love knowing I actually have readers out there.