Dr. Dreadful has entered our home. Why yes, the STOMACH CHURNER is an appropriate name for this toy. Isaac and I spent a while trying to create festering blisters and oozing potions. After a while, I just let him GO and use his creative MAD Scientist juices. If I could go back in time and tell myself this when all my kids were younger, it would be this: toys, such as this one, aren't meant to last longer than ONE, maybe TWO times. Let your kid have a blast with it, making as many concoctions as possible and using up ALL the ingredients and then move on. Don't save the toy for a later time or ask them to follow directions--just let them go. Trust me, it's easier in the long run. I know that statement makes me sound like an incredibly wasteful person, but quite frankly, I find it frustrating "maintaining" toys like this. And, they usually discontinue the refills or make them impossible to find unless you want to spend $20 on eBay for bubbling blister goo or slingshot snot mix. This has happened with Isaac's Graffiti Scooter chalk (which won't be pitched), Martian Matter refills, Aqua Sand and the list continues. Those of you that know me, know I am a clutter free kind of gal--although Lego's have covered my dining room for months now. My point, let your kids have all kinds of fun with these toys but then LET THEM GO--either give them to a grandparent, a donation center or the trash can. If only my future self could've told this to my current self--stress less and have fun MORE.
That is wise advice... I stress too much over high maintenance toys as well. Usually try to hid them in the garage. This makes me want to go find all of the exiled toys and let the kids go at it.
ReplyDelete