Sunday, January 17, 2010

Coach of the Year

Not sure how many people will read this post as it will be PICTURE-LESS. However, I did want to chronicle this MAJOR accomplishment. As many of you know, I coach Karson's basketball team the SPARKS. Prior to the season, we only had a couple of practices--meaning, there was NO WAY to cram all the fundamentals of basketball into three short hours. We covered the basics: passing, dribbling, shooting, defense, etc. I also took the girls to a Lady Topper basketball clinic. And, prior to each game, we practice for 30 minutes (which I use to review all the basic fundamentals). I knew we were in trouble yesterday playing the STARS. Not only were these girls enormous, they were running in-bounds plays, excellent defenders, shooters, ball handlers--no kidding these girls could easily hang with any high school girls team. We've only had three other games and were pretty well matched. In this league, you typically have one or two girls that actually KNOW what's going on. Every STAR player knew what was going on, and their coach was no-nonsense. I, on the other hand, am FULL of nonsense and really don't take coaching to seriously (however, I admit I have gotten on the referees at times) and make sure ALL the girls have a chance to bring the ball down the court, etc.. Anywho, our girls were whipped in a MIGHTY way. There was sadness all over their precious little faces. Even though we don't keep score, they knew we'd lost simply because the other team scored EVERY time they had the ball. We managed to score only ONE time, and guess who made their very first basket? My adorable Karson. I couldn't have been a prouder parent. She was just beaming with pride before being trampled by the other team while they inbounded the ball for their next major play =). It was a great day for her, and I felt like Coach of the Year!!!

3 comments:

  1. That's awesome that Karson made the only basket. WAY to GO Karson! As long as you feel like coach of the year, that's what matters. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also wanted to invite you to check out my blog: raeskorner.info. Every Sunday I take what Matt teaches and apply it to my own life and share what he teaches with anyone who reads it. Matt has definitely been a blessing in my life and I wanted to share his blessing with others. So, check it out, if you get the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay Karson!!! I'm proud of her. And who needs new pics in your posts when you have a great new header every single time I check your blog! You've got some serious graphic design skills!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for peeking into our lives and better yet, taking the time to comment. I love knowing I actually have readers out there.