I haven't really had anything blog-worthy up until this point. December is such a busy month, and January is fairly mild. I don't normally have much to post before Isaac's birthday which falls on the 25th, AND to make January even more mild, we aren't doing anything big for that this year. My plan is to take powdered donuts and chocolate milk to school on his birthday and then take him to Chick Fil A for dinner. So, why this post, well today was an extra special day in the Deaton house. Over winter/holiday break, the kids (Karson and Isaac) participated in the local libraries Chill Out Reading program. It's a reading log with small (and large) incentives to get people to read. The kids decided they wanted to participate in it and got their Chill Out bags, log sheets and bookmarks. Karson might as well have invented the reading genie--she can flat out fly through chapter books. She read four almost immediately and logged them. For each book read, you get an entry into one of the libraries grand prizes. The grand prizes this year were a $50 cash card, $25 Barnes and Noble card, a snow screamer sled and another inflatable kind of sled. Well, Karson only made it to four and had four entries. Isaac was about as uninterested in the contest as one could get and never read a thing. However, I thought if I'm going to turn in FOUR entries for Karson, I at least want to turn in TWO for Isaac and made him sit down and read me TWO easy readers. Mind you, Isaac and Karson both read a lot. Isaac is supposed to read three books each night for homework (notice I said SUPPOSED). We usually read one, maybe two--which he flies through. I didn't count those though--so really he could've had FIVE entries.
I, like a good mommy, went to the library to turn in their entries, BEFORE the deadline. I had a total of 6 entries to choose for the prizes. Karson wanted to Snow Screamer sled SO BAD so I put two of her entries in there. I decided to put the other two in the $50 cash card--shoot, if she won this, she could buy a sled or whatever. I put one of Isaac's in the $50 cash card and one in Snow Screamer sled. Lo and behold, wouldn't you know Isaac won it! I got the phone call today that his name had been selected for the MAJOR award. It is so much FUN to win something. What a nice way to begin 2011! Maybe I'll let him play the lottery???
Okay, you're my only bloggy friend to have me laughing before I even clicked on the link, just by the title of your post! You crack. me. up.
ReplyDelete