Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Tazzy Tiffany

I find myself suddenly involved in a couple of different projects. I'm not sure if it's the springtime air, freshly mowed grass, pollen allergies/headaches that feeds my neurosis for numerous undertakings. I become the tasmanian devil spring cleaning, tossing, sorting and organizing. I find comfort in it. Does anyone else have this disorder? Here are a few of my many happenings in order of importance:

#1 My word searches are VERY important to me. It was hand-held Yahtzee for a while. Okay, so this isn't a home improvement project but definitely an addictive project which keeps me from doing the physical projects at hand.
On to the more serious stuff =)......

#2 (small task)
Updating my terracotta pots which we inherited with our home. They were cracked and corroding. I purchased some Satin Finish spray paint and voila. I decided to add a couple of accents at the top with the gray paint I used to coat our shudders with last spring. We had some green shudders that made our house look yellow. We also changed out our brass light fixtures on the front porch. No kidding, our house looked totally different.
I'm looking forward to filling these pots with some beautiful impatiens soon.


#3 (medium task) keeping my van in good working condition. My van has had some MAJOR issues lately. I guess it's fed-up with the lack of attention it's received since we had Miles. I try my best to service it and wash it, but it decided to take a few months off to recuperate. I really HOPE that its repairs will help mend the "issues" of transporting three kids around and listening to endless hours of the Wiggles and Veggie Tales. The van was dying because of lack of oxygen to the engine and the heat went out. I've driven a Quest, Yukon and Bravada over the course of the last few months. All great vehicles but nothing compares to the JOY of having your own car back.

We (me, Karson and Isaac) washed the van this afternoon. Isaac makes it a full-body event.


#4 (large task) putting hardwood floors in our great room and hallway. I think a law should be passed banning white carpet. Although it looks great in some homes and I understand the "clean" look it yields and how it "opens" up a room, my family can destroy it in a matter of days. The last two homes we've owned have had white carpet. I guess we attract it. No amount of cleaning can solve our white carpet problem, SO we've opted for hardwood. Our mission will begin this Friday. Actually, our mission began Sunday night when I began pulling up carpet, pad, and tack board. I want this mess GONE by tomorrow when our trash is picked up.

The hardwood was delivered last Wednesday. It became an instant attraction at our house. Since it is unfinished, we didn't want the kids climbing all over it. Our brillant solution: putting a fleece blanket over it. Believe it or not, it helped.


During this process, I've also been working on our trim throughout the house. We will be getting quarter round at the baseboards of the floor which will be freshly painted. I want all our trim to look that nice. Translation: painting all the trim, an oil-based, stinky nightmare. BUT, I do love the finished look.


# 5 (a future project, maybe) A friend of mine is starting to paint wooden frames and various items for the home. I'm considering having my old bedroom suit done. I want to update Karson's bedroom before school starts. I want her transition to Kindergarten to be as positive as possible. I feel like a new bedroom may aide in the process? My full set is nice but could use a more modern look. It's currently being stored in our garage and attic and providing no useful means whatsoever.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, looks like you are busy!! I love the flower pots, very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Busy lady! You will love the hardwood...We put it in our house when we remodeled before Drew was born. It is amazing just how many dust bunnies it will collect, but with a swiffer and a dust-buster, LOOK OUT! You will be SO happy with it. Can't wait to see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll never understand how moms find time for projects! Erin reads books... like actual grown-up books over 100 pages. I've been trying to read Dare To Discipline for 3 months now. I get 2 sentences read max at a time before one or both kids demand my attention. I dedicate my night hours to Bible study and blogging, but waking hours are not eligible for personal productivity! You must have a lot of energy! I'd paint the furinture black (or white) and distress it. Michael painted and distressed all of our kids' pieces. I love that shabby chic look!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you are going be a busy little mommy this spring....and summer....and possibly this fall :-) Have fun!!! Can't wait to see all the finished products!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Notebook, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://notebooks-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for peeking into our lives and better yet, taking the time to comment. I love knowing I actually have readers out there.