Saturday, August 7, 2010

The BEGINNING

BACK TO SCHOOL

What a week it's been! Karson, as usual, was ready to go back to school. She loves learning--definitely a daddy's girl in that way. She couldn't wait to pick out her backpack and shop for her school supplies. I was content with the teacher selections for 2nd grade classes (assuming they would all be the same). When Karson started the 2009-2010 school year, she was going to be in Ms. Vincent's 1st/2nd grade split. Days later is was squashed, and she was moved to a solid 1st grade class. I really liked Ms. Vincent and thought she handled herself very professionally. Ms. Vincent would have been my #1 choice this year. However, when I polled all the kids sitting around me at lunch one day at Plano last year, all of them wanted Ms. Woods for 2nd grade. The last teacher is Ms. Strode who I've also heard wonderful things about. Three great teachers, three choices, anyone of them would be fine with me. At open house this year, there were a lot of changes and shifting around of teaching positions. Ms. Vincent is now a 1st grade teacher. Ms. Strode is teaching a 1st/2nd split. Ms. Woods remained the same. A title I teacher Ms. Allison was moved to 2nd grade, and then Karson's teacher Ms. Pridemore (below) was a new hire teaching a 2nd/3rd grade split.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful that Karson is bright and can hang with 3rd graders, but I simply wasn't expecting SO MUCH change in the 2nd grade classes this year. There are only a handful of 2nd graders in her class and a few of them have dropped due to the addition of some 3rd graders. It's hard getting Karson to talk about school (and always has been), but I have no doubt that she enjoys it. She's a fairly independent kid and works well on her own. I, on the other hand, simply want her school experiences to be positive and her to feel comfortable (which I know she would tell if she wasn't happy). I stress a lot more than I should. I've talked to the curriculum coordinator who has eased most of my worries. Plano is such an excellent school to be a part of, and I have been very happy with all the faculty and staff thusfar. I know it's going to be a great year for Karson my brainiac!

I lost not one but TWO children this school year. Isaac began kindergarten. When I registered him in the spring, I requested Ms. Rather and Ms. King as his teachers. I absolutely fell in love with them when Karson had them. I couldn't imagine Isaac not having the same experience. I wrote a letter and emailed Ms. Stephanski. I know the Rather/King combo felt the same way about us and told us they were trying their best to make it happen =). Guess what? It worked. Hooray! We saw his name on their class list and were thrilled! This year Plano had a program the day before open house called Panther Prep for all incoming kindergartners. When I saw that the orientation was FOUR hours long, I thought, ugh--no way do I want to spend my last Saturday before school at Plano all morning. I'm sure glad we did. It was really nice, and Isaac was able to meet Ms. Rather and Ms. King, all the specials teachers, take a bus ride, play on the playground, have a snack, etc.
He seemed excited about school and then came TUESDAY. I honestly didn't think it would be as emotional as it was. If you have access to facebook, check out the video of him on his first day (on mine or Matt's pages). He held it together for a minute and then broke down. It was heartbreaking, and I certainly hadn't experienced that with Karson. It was all I could do to hold it together. The thing that makes is easier is that he is with two fine ladies all day that will love on him and take extra good care of him. I know he's in the best of hands. As the week progressed, he still cried daily, but I think it will get better. School is such an adjustment--it has completely uprooted Isaac's safe little world. He cracks me up with the things he says about school. He say things like, "you don't want to get your sticks pulled" or "no mom, he doesn't follow the rules and won't keep his hands and feet to himself so I don't play with him". He also said this which I thought was cute. He told me that they had played a game in class and said "I played with one black guy and three peach guys". He's also asked about fire drills and the Principal's office. He told me that he cried one day because the teachers made him eat a biscuit (btw, Isaac never eats anything much less anything with carbs). It's cute hearing him talk about school and seeing his work. I sure hope he gets into the swing of things soon for his sake and MINE!
Here's the whole gang ready to set out on the first day of school. We love our neighbors the Chapman's. Their daughter Mia (seated by Karson) started school with Isaac and Laila, their youngest, will be in my preschool class this year.

3 comments:

  1. School Days, School Days..... ahh, so fun and thrilling, yet scary and uncertain. Hope Karson and Isaac both have a great school year! Even though I've not been around Karson much, I think she's gonna do GREAT in the split class!!! Is Miles just lost without them?? See you next week for my baby's first day of preschool -- break out the tissue box!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart broke for you just thinking about Isaac crying. I think if Emmaline had tried that, I would have picked her up and told them "I think we will just be back next year." :-) But anyway, I am sure he will do great once he gets into the swing of things.

    It was good to see you the other night and have the opportunity to chat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Their school looks like a warm and loving place. You are blessed!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for peeking into our lives and better yet, taking the time to comment. I love knowing I actually have readers out there.