Sunday, February 6, 2011

RIP Justin H. Deaton

This blog is in memory of Justin Hinston Deaton. You came into our lives on a Wednesday and brought us lots of joy. Yesterday marked one week since you left this world. We miss you and are sad you're gone. We hope you meet Princess Sparkles in Hammy Heaven. Until we meet again....
Justin the Hammy is kaput. We're not real sure what happened to him. We kind of think he was sick from the get go. Plus, it's not REAL comforting that Petco gives you a 15-day guarantee on the life of their rodents/animals. I figured Justin was different after day 3 when I put a fresh carrot in his cage, and he didn't even budge. Sparkles would've had that thing devoured in minutes. And, Justin wasn't NEARLY as active as Sparkles. He slept all the time day and night. So, Matt and I weren't real surprised when we checked on him last Saturday, and he was hard as a rock. Thankfully the kids were spending the night with my mom and weren't home. And, we were able to take him back (as a return--eek) to Petco and get our money back. Breaking the news to the kids the next day was a bit harder. Isaac was more angry than sad yelling, "but I wanted a pet." Miles and Karson were the weepy ones. The loss of a pet is hard. I decided to email Isaac's teacher to let her know about the loss and help her avoid an awkward moment. She emailed back and said, he and Ms. King (the aide) had talked about it and he told her "they (hamsters) don't last very long." I'm not sure what to do at this point. I think the few days we had Justin were just enough for the kids. I know they would like another hamster but haven't been pressing the issue at all. I'm not sure if we'll return to Petco anytime soon.

2 comments:

  1. Awww, poor littla fella. This is why I'm standing firm against all pets of any kind here! Wonder how long I can keep that up...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the post!! I always wondered about a refund on a dead pet (eek) and how that worked. However I feel bad that your little ones had to go thru this.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for peeking into our lives and better yet, taking the time to comment. I love knowing I actually have readers out there.