Does celebrating a birthday in October get any more exciting?!? ~ There are endless options for parties, the weather is generally pleasant, sweets are in abundance, leaves are changing, mums and pumpkins decorate many homes and the list goes on. Karson is at the end of her volleyball season but still had three games scheduled for the week. One landed on October 22nd which meant having a party on her actual birthday was out. She also had a game Friday night and Saturday morning. I wanted to try and squeeze her party in last week instead of waiting until this week with fall/school parties and Halloween. I thought a pumpkin painting party would be PERFECT, and after looking at the schedule, figured Thursday would work as well as any. My girlfriends and I love have pumpkin painting parties around the holiday, and I just knew a bunch of 10 & 11 year old girls would love it too.
I churned out some invitations and pasted them on brown paper bag backing (love the way they turned out). It was quick and cheap. I also attended a party at Jackson's a few weeks ago and was able to get some cheap pie pumpkins for $2. I already had acrylic paints and paintbrushes. I decided to purchase some a few accent pieces like pom poms, sequins, jewels, googly eyes and a few extra paints for more variety.
Karson had her hopes set on an ALL GIRLS party. However with two little brothers in the mix, that doesn't always happen. Matt texted me early in the day and told me that his dad was going to come and pick them up (Matt started his bowling season and isn't around much on Mondays and Thursdays). I knew Isaac would be more than happy to get out of dodge. Miles, on the other hand, woke up that morning talking about the party, the GIRLS and asked me over and over again when the girls would be getting to our house. He couldn't wait! Debbie came over to pick them up, and we couldn't convince him to leave. Isaac told him to protect their room and darted out the door. Miles hung around for a little bit of the party. Colvin came by a little later and picked him up (even though he really had zero desire to leave--stinker).
I fixed some simple finger foods for the girls (sandwiches, smokies, chips). I got a little carried away with the sugar. I decided not to get an actual birthday cake. I got her a small one last year and none of the girls ate it. I went for the mini-cupcakes which were a big hit.
Blessed with amazing friends. Love this group of girls!
The party lasted about two hours. There were points during it that I couldn't even tell I had eight girls in the house.
And, then, there were points when I could.
We had a fun night of celebrating and are thankful for the 11 years we've had with our special FIRST born child. Karson received lots of cash for her birthday this year. Honestly, it was the best gift since she's been saving up to buy an electric scooter. I'm thinking we'll be making a trip to TRU real soon!
Love your parties! Makes me wish I had an October baby!
ReplyDelete