Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Follow ME - Happy Campers

Karson is our camper.  In fact, yesterday her aunt MacKenzie asked her if she was ready for school, and no surprise here - she said 'yes'.  Karson likes being busy and having something to do.  It's no wonder she likes to go to camp(s) all summer long.  She started with volleyball camp at the beginning of June and also had the opportunity to go to SWHS's basketball camp mid-June. Camp Recap
She most recently attended a volleyball clinic at Warren East High School.  My sister took her and Elizabeth one Saturday to Raider Country.  Karson cracked me up when she got home because they had given all the girls Raider Volleyball shirts - she said, "when will I ever wear that".  I knew what she meant by it, but isn't school pride a funny thing - she's not going to wear anything other than Spartan stuff.  I told her she could wear the Raider shirt as a night shirt.


Two weeks ago when Matt and I went to Chicago, Karson was at Taylor Christian Camp with the Greenwood Park Church group.  The camp theme was centered around vikings and based on Nehemiah's call to be "more than Conquerors". I grew up going to Taylor and am thankful that my daughter has the same opportunity to connect with God and fellowship with other Christians in this capacity.


Nothing is more comforting than knowing your child's camp couselor who happens to be one of my best friends, Millie Caffey.  I was 100% certain she would be in great hands all week long as I know Millie thinks of Karson like her own child.  We often compare notes with each other on how similar Karson and her oldest Haley are.
 Karson has made some strong connections the last two years with some new friends. The camp has a ban on electronics for obvious reasons, and I know Karson would have no desire to have her iPod with her during the week.  However, she uses her iPod to take pictures - so for that purpose, it would be nice if she could have it at camp.  I may start sending a disposable camera with her to capture fun camp memories - thanks to all my facebook friends who have tagged me in the photos posted.


Karson was completely worn out when we picked her up Friday afternoon. Overnight camp weeks are grueling even for the young energetic.


Karson has mentioned more than once this summer that she CANNOT WAIT until theater camp.  Her joyous week finally arrived.  I'm still trying to figure out she and I convinced BOTH brothers to participate - they are more slug-like in the summer months.  I was thrilled because I got to spend the entire week with my kids - even better - spending time with my kids while I'm at work.  Cool.  Treasure Island was our third an final week of camp at SKyPAC.  To quote our education director, "It was a bittersweet week - more sweet, than bitter."  Nah, we've thoroughly enjoyed having all the kids in the building each week.  They bring an amount of energy and excitement into the air which is easy to soak in and appreciate (and reminisce about the days in your childhood when you had no worries, loads of fun and all the time in the world).  Treasure Island was our largest group of participants in summer camp - 50 total.  Our camp is produced in conjunction with Missoula Children's Theatre.  I cannot brag enough about this touring company.  They are top notch and produce a FULL-SCALE musical in one week's time.  Two touring/artist directors come in for the week - audition and cast the show, have rehearsals daily, teach  lines, stage songs and movement and also provide the campers with three workshops.  It's truly amazing.


Day I auditions
Karson was aiming for a lead role, and lo and behold, she got one.  She was cast as Jim Hawkins.  She had 16-pages of lines to learn on the first night of camp.  I asked her multiple times during the week if she wanted me to run her lines with her - nope, never, not even one time.  Isaac was cast as a villager to which he replied, "I was under-used."  My YouTube video crackerjack felt slighted in his less important role.  His music teacher Ms. Cothron cast him in a large role as a seven-legged octopus in the school's spring musical - maybe all that fame went to his head =).  He really is quite animated, but like I mentioned, we had 50 kids at camp that all needed roles.  Miles was cast as the sweetest little Seagull you've ever seen.  He was happy as can be with his part and did not want a speaking part under any circumstance.
The kids were super excited that their cousins were also at camp - Elizabeth was cast as a Ruffian and Evan was a Villager with Isaac.
Isaac in rehearsals with the Villagers and Sisters.  He's looking a little annoyed.




Rehearsals with the Ruffians, Pirates and Long John Silver.  Karson was in rehearsal every day and for long amounts of time.  She was worn out.





Lots and lots of rehearsals each day.  It takes a lot of time, energy and patience getting kids ready for a show.
Girls? Pirates? Ruffians? just wanna have fun!  Karson became good friends with the young lady directly to her right named Emma and hung out with her most of the week.
Thursday and Friday are mainly spent on-stage doing multiple run throughs and dress rehearsals.


Miles was singing songs all week long.  One night in the shower, I heard him singing  "it's the pirate thing to do, it's the pirate thing to do, have no fear little buccaneer, it's the pirate thing to do."  His buddy Samuel came to camp - cutest.seagulls.ever!




 I love dress rehearsal!  Seeing the kids in their costumes and make-up is such a fun occasion.


Isaac liked his look so much, he told us he was going to sleep in it (hoping it didn't wipe off).







WOW!  What a performance.  I was stunned by how many lines Karson had and better yet, nailed.  She admitted this show was stressful for her, but she handled it like a professional and did an excellent job.  I know I'm biased, but this show was my favorite of the three weeks - loved the songs, the story, the set and the TAD's.  It was a bittersweet week being our last one  - maybe that was it? Who knows?





Our fearless Education Director and Miles's BFF, Zac Bush.
Karson and her on-stage nemisis Long John Silver - we sure hope to cross paths with Chris and his lovely wife Jess again soon. SKyPAC kiddos were blessed by their professionalism and overall 'love of theater' energy last week.
 
Each camp week I compiled photos to put into a video to share on our SKyPAC YouTube and social media sites and with all of our campers.  Enjoy.


I'm sure my family would win the award for largest amount of tickets sold - this isn't even everyone - love all these people and how much love and support they constantly show us.
One fine looking group if I do say so myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for peeking into our lives and better yet, taking the time to comment. I love knowing I actually have readers out there.