Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Tiny Treasure

This tiny treasure chest houses Karson's extracted tooth. Yes, that's right, EXTRACTED TOOTH. It was abcess and looked terrible. She had a visit with her dentist yesterday. I had prepared her as much as any pertrified Mommy could, but it was a traumatic day. I had horrible teeth as a child and remember getting shots but nothing like what she experienced. She was given laughing gas for her nerves. Once she was good and calm (if that's possible in those uncomfortable chairs and the anxiety of knowing what's about to happen), the dentist came in and gave her a couple of shots. When he left, I told her how proud I was and that the worst was over. I was SO WRONG. They wanted to x-ray the tooth, I can't remember why--maybe to send to Guiness Book for the "worst abcess in history" (just a hunch). The dentist came back in, put the bite in her mouth which looks like a giant black piece of licorice and gave her more shots. AHHHH!!! She was wincing in pain and getting a bit hysterical. I tried my best to calm her down while the dentist gave her a break. Once he came back, he got right to work filling the cavity on the tooth behind the abcess, and then, the extraction. I can't remember all the details, but I'll try my best to paint a picture: legs curled up, tears, screams, complete and total body tension--a Mother's nightmare seeing her child in that much pain and trepidation. She had a blue, plastic mask over her mouth which had a be lifted numerous times so she could breathe. Needless to say, it was BAD all around. It took her at least 10-15 minutes to calm down once it was over. My poor baby! Her dentist and hygenist were fabulous though and did their best trying to ease her obvious distress. After biting down on numerous gauze, filling an antibiotic, a trip to Barnes and Noble to pick out a well-deserved treat, we went home. As many of you know, children are are all around resilient and Karson was ready to show her friends at church last night her lose-did tooth. She said, "I can't wait to show Brooks and Tucker. I'll tell them I was the first to lose-did my tooth." I told her, "Karson that doesn't sound very nice. Losing teeth isn't and shouldn't be a competition." Later she told me in such a sweet voice "I'll just tell my friends that I lose-did a tooth."

9 comments:

  1. Did Mom get a treat too? That Karson is one brave girl! It is very exciting to loose-did a tooth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless her little heart and your heart also. I hate that she had to go through that but sounds like she recovered quickly. Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah, did the toothfairy make a visit? I sure hope so after that traumatic experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was wondering about the Toothfairy too. What a day! Glad it is over! Hopefully from now on her dental appointments will be much easier... and happier!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I again, Karson, feel your pain. Those of us born with such troublesome pearlies should receive an award for all we have to go through huh! What a good Mommy to get you a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a traumatic day for both of you! Hope you purchased a treat for yourself as well :-)I also am wondering what the toothfairy gave her for a 'loose-did' tooth!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How horrible. I am glad she is feeling better. I hope we never have to go through that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh poor thing! Wesley's pediatrician told me I should start taking him to the dentist when I took him to his 2-year checkup. He's 2 1/2 now and I'm still putting it off. After reading this, I think I'll put it off at least until he's 12! Glad she's proud of her tooth - she earned it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Been meaning to give you Erin's e-mail address if you don't have it: It's erincga@yahoo.com

    I've told Erin she should start a blog several times, but she doesn't even read my blog (and I don't mean she doesn't read it often... I mean she doesn't read it at all), so I guess it's just not her thang. Sometimes it hurts me feelings but I have to remind myself that she's just not the keep-in-touch type and it's not personal. Erin and I are close and she's wonderful to spend time with when we're together, but she's really not ever been one to write or e-mail or even call much. She lives in the moment and embraces you when she sees you, but you just won't hear from her much when you're apart. And I'm realizing that she's more the norm. I'm just psychotically sentimental so I go into over-drive when it comes to keeping in touch with people. Erin loves everyone but keeps in touch with no one. She'd love to talk to you if you call, though, and she'd love to have you stop by for a visit anytime you're in Nashville. I wish she'd start a blog, too, though... I feel like I know more about your kids than my own niece & nephews! I know Erin truly values your friendship.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for peeking into our lives and better yet, taking the time to comment. I love knowing I actually have readers out there.