A week in review:
(themed: Life is Not Fair)
(1) Matt, the kids and I were out in Richardsville Saturday afternoon celebrating baby Samuel Garcia's first birthday. On the way home, I told Matt that I wanted to look at the Mt. Zion and Mt. Pleasant churches since they are/were in that area. (For those of you out-of-town bloggers, these churches of Christ were recently set on fire and destroyed). As we pulled up to Mt. Zion, we noticed charred metal chairs that were once part of a classroom, a stove that once existed in the church kitchen and piles and piles of ash. It was quite eerie! This church was totally destroyed. When we were pulling away, I noticed names that I recognized in the cemetery next door--Milam, Basham, and Davis. The Mt. Pleasant building was still in tact on the front but in bad shape on the backside. It looked like someone had come by and sifted through the rubble, salvaging a few of the song books which were stacked up. Boy, oh boy, were these horrible events teachable moments for the kids. I talked to them about anger and how we need to control it, consequences and punishment, sadness and feelings hurt by the actions of other's, etc.
(2) Life's just UNFAIR. I was reminded of this statement on Monday morning as Isaac received an excellent report at the dentist's office.
Poor Karson has been through the ringer when it comes to dental woes. I certainly don't want Isaac to have the same experiences Karson's had, but I feel badly that her teeth are in such poor shape. Just recently, she told me that part of her tooth fell out. I thought maybe a piece of apple or something she ate wiggled its way out from between her teeth, but when she brought it over, it was an actual piece of tooth. She told me that it hurt when she breathed, and I replied, "we need to see t he dentist if it hurts." Later that night, she told me "Mom, my tooth isn't hurting anymore." Poor child. I dread taking her back to the dentist because I'm sure that tooth will have to be pulled =(. Ahhhh! I did snap a few shots of Isaac at the dentist. I've never taken a camera in for Karson's visits--it's just a sad event all around.(3) Bathtime is sheer chaos in the Deaton house. It happens around 7:30-8:00 p.m. We try to make it a speedy event because with three kids in the mix, it can QUICKLY get out of control. I purchased a bunch of children's play bath sets on clearance after Christmas last year that I have stored in our garage for birthday presents throughout the year. Karson got a new bathtoy on Saturday, and I knew that it would be an issue if the boys didn't have one also. SO, I decided to bust open two of the stored bathsets which happened to be shaving sets. Fun was had ALL AROUND. Miles and Isaac enjoyed their plastic razors and shaving cream. I'm not sure how to apply the "not fair" theme to this event besides the fact that I have to shave a lot more than Matt. He's probably the most non-hairy person on the planet. There was nothing cooler than getting to shave when I entered into the fourth grade, but it feels like a thorn in the flesh these summer days as a 31 year old.


I'm glad to see Isaac has had a good experience at the dentist. I know how Karson feels. Every time I take Mitchell in something seems to be wrong with his teeth.
ReplyDeleteWhen I first saw the bathtub pictures, I though their new bath toy was gray paint - LOL!!! Upon a closer look I realized it wasn't, but I was thinking you were a really brave mama! Glad Isaac's visit to the dentist went well.
ReplyDeleteYou're right...life is NOT FAIR! Poor Karson's teeth! At least you have one who's easy breezy...That Miles is a hoot. A HOOT.
ReplyDeleteBy the way, the back to school pictures were precious!!! I've been reading while nursing but can't manage to comment while nursing :) Maybe I'll master that with the next child...KIDDING!! Lord willing, the next child will be when I have GRANDKIDS!!!!
Love you, girl, and your beautiful family (and Matt), too! ;)